As part of its role to advance a larger field-wide strategy alongside other MPT stakeholders, the IMPT Secretariat implements a range of technical activities. More specifically, the IMPT Secretariat systematically identifies pressing technical issues to be addressed and accelerates action around these issues by examining evidence, developing resources and recommendations, and facilitating critical conversations with appropriate experts across disciplines and sectors. Through this mechanism, the IMPT is advancing work in critical areas such as combining hormones and antiretroviral drugs in a single product and studying end-user contexts and preferences alongside product development. Below find select highlights of some of this exciting work.
Gap analyses of priority technical issues:
- Landscape review of the status of MPT impact and cost effectiveness modelling efforts.
- The foundation for a Strategic Evaluation Framework for MPT development and introduction, intended to summarize critical market-based considerations and set optimal and minimal targets.
Key consultations to refine and accelerate action around technical priorities:
- Technical Meeting on Hormonal Contraception (HC in MPTs) – September 2016
- Clinical Trial Evaluation Workshop: Steps to Ensure Success – September 2017
Technical resources responsive to identified gaps:
- Target Product Profiles (TPPs) including a generalized TPP and TPPs for the prioritized dosage forms: 1) On Demand, 2) Sustained Release and 3) Injectable MPTs. With input from MPT funders, researchers, and product developers, these more general TPPs are designed to broadly define a type of product (as opposed to a specific product) and can serve as a tool to help assure that the appropriate products for maximum public health impact will be developed..
- Market Access Framework for MPTs, which outlines priority market access activities for MPTs to be initiated at particular points along the conventional drug development timeline.
- MPT Product Pipeline Database to serve as a comprehensive resource outlining information on MPT products and product candidates.
- Technical webinars on topics such as MPT manufacturing and regulatory issues.
- Interactive GIS mapping tool to visualize the “hot spots” where MPTs for HIV prevention and contraception can have the greatest impact.